Saturday, June 23, 2012

Christ Has No Body but Yours

Micheas bent over and poured water over my feet, attempting to wipe off the mud.
"No, no, no problem!" I said, but the boys insisted.

A few minutes earlier, I'd accidentally stuck my foot ankle-deep in a huge pile of mud while attempting to put in Tippy Tap number two. As the boys washed my shoes until they were sparkling and wiped the dirt off my feet, I couldn't help but think of Jesus washing the disciples feet.

Truly, spending time with the families in Jaja has transformed my trip. They've shown me the most selfless love: they've welcomed me into their homes and offered bread and coffee; they've told me their stories.. they have little, but what they have, they share.

It's hard to believe that in three days I'll be leaving Addis for the last few days of team debrief. It seems that through these women, G-d has been showing me His own love. Last night I remembered St. Teresa of Avila's poem:

Christ has no body but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
Compassion on this world,
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good,
Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world.
Yours are the hands, yours are the feet,
Yours are the eyes, you are his body.
Christ has no body now but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
compassion on this world.
Christ has no body now on earth but yours.

As I was praying, it came to mind that "Christ has no body but THEIRS." Jaja has shown me a bit of G-d's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment