Monday, January 30, 2012

G-d speaks in the silence...


Oh, I don't reject Christ. I love Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ… If Christians would really live according to the teachings of Christ, as found in the Bible, all of India would be Christian today.
-Gandhi

            Ghandi’s message poses a daunting challenge to Christians- and yet, encouragement can be found. Last week, I heard that the YWAM staff members receive no salary! They live lives for Christ- doing service, sharing the Gospel, and actually taking to heart this message: “Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?” (Matt 6:25). The staff “really live according to the teachings of Christ” as Gandhi would have hoped. Lucy, the speaker from last week and a prime example of someone living her life for Christ, shared that to know how to follow Christ, we have to learn to hear G-d’s voice.
            This was the focus of last week’s lectures. Lucy challenged us to “not put G-d in a box” as we explored different forms of prayer and kept our ears (and hearts) open for ways that G-d might be speaking to us… One morning, we spent 45 minutes in silent prayer. In the reflection following the quiet time, one staff member said that often we set aside a small amount of ‘prayer time’ during the day and demand that G-d will give us all of our answers right then. But why do we assume that we'll get answers exlusively during that short “prayer time” when really, G-d is communicating with us all day? While it is important to set aside this time especially for G-d, prayer does not stop there. “Prayer can not be switched on and switched off. Prayer is oneness… fullness of intention” (Mother Teresa). Playing music, eating dinner, taking out the trash... I can make it all a prayer if I have the intention. I can listen to G-d at all times.
            It's then- when I take constant prayer into my day- that I really am able to go deeper into knowing G-d's voice. I've known G-d's "voice" as a deep sense of peace. That's how I've discerned G-d. But now I remember Lucy's challenge: Don't put G-d in a box. How else is G-d present in me? As I sat in prayer last night, this came clear in my mind: "In the silence, G-d speaks…"


1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this and it makes me so excited that you aren't just taking the weekly questions and writing one line responses. You are actually creating a journal, something that is going to be meaningful to you and not just an assignment! That was/is my hope for the blogs! Awesome job!
    -Jeanette

    ReplyDelete