Monday, March 26, 2012

Simplicity of Truth


Kayaking at Globe Trotter

Kayaking, rock climbing… rain, sun, ice… one hour… one building… Where am I?!? Globe Trotter!!! During Saturday's day trip to Dresden, I stopped by this REI-esque store where there’s a pool for kayaking, a rock wall, a rain-room, and freezing room. Yeahyeahyeah! Along with the day-trip to Dresden, this week was packed with 2 concerts at the castle (check out http://lizandthelions.bandcamp.com/), a dance and celebration for the September school’s graduation, and a challenging topic for lectures..


Some thoughts from the lectures:
G-d is complex, G-d is infinite, and yet, G-d is simple. David Gava talked about the Holy Spirit and, in many ways, the complexities of living a Christian life. Truly living a life for Christ, he explained, is not easy- it requires sacrifice, discipline, and a real leaving behind the things that draw us away from G-d. I found myself questioning… if Christianity is so complicated- if there is so much I have to understand and so many specific things I have to know, have to learn about G-d, is it really Truth? Doesn’t having child-like faith mean that there is a simplicity to Truth?

I was walking through the woods next to the castle, loving the spring sunshine, when it became clear: Yes, truth is simple. G-d can be found in being present to each moment- in paying attention to life. If I am present to people, to my surroundings, to my senses, I will find that G-d is constantly there. And yet G-d is so infinite that G-d is in all of this and in the words and doctrine that David was describing. The words and doctrine are not there to make G-d seem distant and hard to reach, but to help me know G-d more closely. The challenge is to use doctrine to encourage and inspire rather than leave me feeling distant and separate from G-d. 

No comments:

Post a Comment